Monday 13 January 2020

FEAR: A LIMITING FACTOR

What is fear? Fear can be defined as an unpleasant feeling triggered by the perception of danger. This fear can be either imagined or real.
Fear is a factor we all have to overcome sooner rather than later, It controls us even without us realizing, the main reason why people stay in toxic relationships, isn't because of love as they might claim, it is because they have made the saying "the devil you know, is better than the angel you don't know", their watch word. We have relationships where the partner treats them like they are less than humans, with the constant derogatory words, we have men that have turned their partners into their punching bags, and the women keep on enduring it, simply because the "unsafe" has become "safe", in their mind, people believe that the known will always be better than the unknown, that's why they keep finding silly reasons to keep holding on, most times there is always this nagging fear at the back of their mind, What if I never find love again, What if I remain single forever, these are the recurring thoughts that flashes through the mind.

Fear certainly is not limited to just the relationship aspect, it can extend to our career, I will tell you a short story about myself, so you can have an idea of what I mean, when I served in Kwara state in 2017/2018, I always wanted to learn interior decorating, but because of the fear of failure, I kept on making excuses, till I finished, can you imagine how I lost a very great opportunity like that because of fear, I am sure other people will be in my shoes, maybe you are at a particular stage at your work place, you don't really like it, but because it is still in your comfort zone, you don't strive to be more, we ignore that drive in us, because we are so terrified of failing, that we don't even attempt anything in the first place.

This is not just limited to a white-collar job, a lot of people have business ideas, but because of the fact that they are scared of starting and failing, they allow the idea die down, just remember, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take, it is better to start something and fail, than not start at all.

On the next post, I will be writing  about what we can do in order to overcome fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright (c) 2020 Folawewo Ojo All Right Reserved